Re: [MV] M151 carb - no squirt!?

From: muttmeister@rawfire.torche.com
Date: Tue Feb 22 2005 - 21:35:41 PST

Jack,
The MUTT carbs don't squirt, but they'll drip.

The accelerating pump is vacuum operated so that the carb can be
submerged in water and still work. Engine vacuum holds a spring
compressed then when you step on the gas the engine vacuum drops so the
spring releases against a diaphragm that operates the accelerating pump.
Clever huh! Thanks to Carter carburetors.

As for the drip.... when I shut any of my three MUTTS off I always see a
few drips of fuel out of the carb. I've discussed the problem with
other MUTTer's and we think that is over flow from the float chamber.

I have repaired many MUTT carbs by disassembling them then soaking 'em
in carb cleaner over night. After a though washing I blow out all the
chambers with shop air then poke whatever will fit (wire, drills, pipe
cleaners) into all of the orifices to make sure that they are clear.
Usually I just reassemble the carb with all of the original parts.
Carefully check the diaphragm for cracks and the needle valve for a
ridge around the tip. The ridge on the tip will cause the valve to
stick closed. If there's a ridge I polish it out using a fine Scotch
brite pad.

MM