RE: [MV] CUCV Glow Plugs

From: Mike Maynard (mike@wesleyscott.com)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2005 - 10:28:01 PST

Has any one tried these glow plugs? The people at www.thedieselplace.com
swear by them...

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Caleb Pal - MilVeh [mailto:m1009@defcon-3.net]
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 1:27 PM
To: Military Vehicles Mailing List
Subject: Re: [MV] CUCV Glow Plugs

Hey,

I wasn't aware that the plugs were not spec'd for that time. Can someone
explain the difference between the 12G and the 13G? My truck had 12G's in
it, and it wasn't starting well, so I put the 13G's in. It was probably the
fuel pressure switch that was the problem, but since the plugs had never
been replaced since I had purchased the vehicle, I thought why not. I had
read on the list archives that the 13G's were spec'd out for the CUCV's, and
after they had toasted, a call to the AC hotline said the same thing, if you
have a military CUCV, the 13G's are right. So last night after I cooked the
new 13G expierment, I took a 12G that I had taken out of the truck a few
months ago. I hooked it to 12v battery and let it have it. 70 seconds later
it was red hot, but no swelling at all. So whats the difference. Sounds like
finding a good glow plug is like the quest for the holy grail. And yes,
thats the moral of the story AFTER I went through extracting 8 swelled
plugs. Hindsight is always 20/20 right? But at least I learned
something....do what Stu says....buy a fuel pressure switch. I should have
listened sooner. I haven't gotten a new one here yet to prove that it works,
but it sounds like thats what causing my problems. And now it sounds like
its pointless unless you love STE-ICE. Anyone want to start making a rubber
plug for that hole?? ;).

Caleb