CUCV Saga

From: Tom Kelly (tjk2356@webtv.net)
Date: Sat Feb 26 2005 - 16:16:46 PST

If you've been following this sad tail of woe, my injector pump went
south, I installed a running/rebuilt take out injector pump, and am now
getting fuel, but she won't run. Glow plugs fried over a year ago, been
starting with ether ever since. Even with a shot of ether she won't run,
I bled the injectors and got fuel. The fuel shoots out of the fuel
filter housing almost a foot, so I ASSume I have good pressure. The only
other suggestion is timing.

When I removed the old pump I marked everything and put the other pump
in immediately, to insure the engine did not get turned over and screw
everything up. But everybody says since I'm getting white smoke from the
exhaust, that my problem is a timing issue. Well, today, I tore the
waterpump and backing plate off the engine, removed #1 cylinder's glow
plug, and checked the timing and it is perfect!! So now I'm at a
complete loss as to what to do next.

I thought that every time the pump went around once would be a
compression stroke, and the next rotation would be an exhaust stroke,
but that's not how it works. I had my neighbor bump the engine over with
the starter, everytime I watched the timing mark on the Injector pump
drive gear rotate to the 6 O'clock position, it would blow my finger off
of the glow plug hole. This is correct isn't it? Any clues?

Dazed and Confused in AZ (Tom)