RE: [MV] CUCV Charging

From: Stu Ellis (stuinnh@mvnut.us)
Date: Wed Mar 02 2005 - 03:57:17 PST

The diode fails a lot.

              "Stu"
Southern New Hampshire, USA
      "Live Free Or Die"

MVPA #14790
1967 M151A1 Jeep
1964 M416 Trailer
1986 M1009 Blazer

-----Original Message-----
Of Mike Maynard
Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 11:24 PM
To: Military Vehicles Mailing List
Subject: [MV] CUCV Charging

Ok, so the other day I was having trouble with the Gen 2 light flickering.
Well today the Gen 1 light came on, about half bright, and wont go off. It
now seems that voltage is suffering. I took a few minutes and started
poking around to see if I could figure it out. I started with the passenger
side alt, and found that the bat terminal connections were loose. Tried
tightening it up, and the stud was spinning in the case. Had to take the
Alt off, and pull it apart to fix it. Got it all back on, and now both
lights are on steady!!! Oh wait... forgot to pull the brush holder out...
;-) Well, now I know that the passenger side is gen 2... LOL

Anyway, it seems that I have fixed the flickering problem, although Gen 2
still lights up when the engine is idling real low, (in gear with brake on).
The gen 1 light is still on, and I wonder if the drop in voltage is
contributing to the gen 2 light coming on like that....

Could someone explain to me what makes these lights work?

Any ideas on my gen 1 light? All connections seem tight on it... wonder if
the brushes failed in the Alt? What is the most common failure of these?
It was totally random, was working fine, and the it just came on.

Mike