Re: [MV] New Project (HUMVEE) questions

From: John Stewart-Smith (micdunn@ev1.net)
Date: Thu Mar 03 2005 - 06:15:05 PST

Dj,
I don't own a HUMVEE, but I sure worked on a lot of them in the military. I
can help a bit with the wheels/tires question. The Humvee uses an 8 bolt
wheel pattern, but there are two major different types of rim used. They
both are two piece rims with a very large O-ring sealing them together. One
of the rims has 8 bolts holding the two halves together, the other rim has
twelve bolts. The 8 bolt rim is for the bias ply tires, and the 12 bolt rim
is for the radial ply tires. The great thing about the two piece rim is that
a mechanic can change the tire on the rim without a lot of special tools and
grunting.
You are correct, the radials are better.
They have a higher weight rating and they last much longer.
The bias ply develop a "flat spot" from sitting overnight, especially at
colder temperatures, and they have an annoying thump-thump-thump for 10 or
20 miles, until they warm up and round out.
On the down side, the radials cost more, but in my opinion, they are worth
it.
What goes inside the tires is a bit more complicated. There are runflats and
double beadlocks, and several combinations of the two(for bias or radial). I
highly recommend avoiding the runflats unless you intend to be shot at. I
highly recommend the one piece double beadlocks, if you intend doing any
serious off-road excursions at extremely low pressure.
I have a set of 5 twelve bolt Humvee rims which I am mounting on Unimog
axles on my Jeep.
Another myth is that there are no DOT approved beadlocks on the market. The
truth is, both Humvee rims are DOT approved, it is stamped on each rim.
The double beadlock for the 12 bolt rim costs $273 each (!!!!!) here in
Texas at the GM dealer.
Or $50 each from USA6x6 in Oklahoma, for a thick piece of PVC pipe.
I am looking for a set of 5 military single piece double beadlocks for my
own rims.
The twelve bolt rims will cost you between $30 each for rusty surplus up to
$700 each for new ones.
And now a question for you.
Why do you want the armoured glass? It distorts your vision, adds a lot of
extra weight, and makes the doors (which also have to be upgraded to light
armour) horrible to open and close. I guess it does add the cool factor.
Here's a free tip:
If you do armour the Humvee, stay out of deep mud! (Voice of experience)
Good luck with your project!
-Sarge