Re: [MV] New project (HUMVEE) Questions

From: Vadim Kogan (vadim@XCF.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: Thu Mar 03 2005 - 08:26:52 PST

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 08:17:32PM -0600, gpw1942@verizon.net wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am thinking of embarking on a new adventure (restoring a Humvee 1986 M1045). I am use to GPWs, WCs, CUCVs, but do not know much about the Humvees. I could use some recommendations on where to find parts for it and a rough idea of cost to plan my budget. I believe there are two types of tires being used Bias ply and radials. Am I correct that the radials are the latest and greatest? Are the rims different? Are there many complications to installing a 6.5l or should I stick with a tock 6.2

Yes, the radials are the latest and greatest. They're supposed to be mounted
on new-style rims as well (12bolt rims, either old kind or new style with
the alignment hole). TM is rather specific not to use the 8bolt rims with
radial tires (since bias ply tires run at a considerably lower pressure).
However, I've seen a lot of HMMWVs (M998s mostly, light) which appear to be
used on-road only without much load with radial tires mounted on old-style
8-bolt rims. I personally will not do this, but others might have a
different opinion. Also note that radial tires will be about 2-3 times more
expensive, but probably easier to balance.

As for the 6.5, I understand that it is not all that hard to convert.
Obviously, the standard PITA items like bolts that don't want to come out,
etc. apply. 6.5 should otherwise be a drop-in replacement. I have not done
it (nor I will, 6.5 is too weak anyhow), but without serious mods this is
the best you can get. I think the military is switching over to it (that is
they upgrade their 6.2s with 6.5s).

A number of people on this list can offer items for you. Failing to get
reasonable price on the list, you could google for suppliers.
www.real4wd.com is one of them. Note that sometimes new parts are insanely
expensive (quite often, actually), but every once in a while you get
something and go "Uhm, this is rather cheap". Of course, the meaning of
"cheap" and "expensive" is rather relative. For the poor schmucks like
myself it is sometimes cheaper and faster to make the part from junk metal.

Vadim.