M756 bed for my deuce..finally

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 10 2005 - 06:09:05 PST

Last night I returned from another 1000 mile trip in my cranetruck deuce.
This time the destination was Harold Hammond's salvage yard in Greenville,
KY.
After having received the lead from Brent Backman and discussions with Kenny
and Chris (all from steelsoldiers forum), I decided it would be worth a try.
The bed was in poor condition with all the wood (it has a wooden deck with
metal T-strips holding it all together) rotted away. Chris's dad is
restoring an M756 and the gin poles and the support struts were sold to him
and dropped off at Chris's place in Charleston, WV as previously agreed.

I can now get a proper bed for my deuce and am very excited about this new
project.

I had the M103A3 (M105) trailer along for the trip to haul tools, spare tire
and some M49A2C parts for David Doyle. The total vehicle weight was never
less than 20,000 lb, which was reflected in a rather poor fuel milage of
about 7.8 for the 1039 mile drive.

The deuce runs beautifully and really likes to be used. Top speed: just
under 60 mph. No real problems on the interstate highways, had company with
UPS doubles for almost 100 miles on the "hilly" WV I-77, about 50 mph uphill
and 55 downhill. Mostly 5% grades here.

Will be posting pictures later.

Bjorn
MVPA 19212