Re: [MV] M35 Parking Brake Stuck

From: Bob Ternes (racecadet@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 11 2005 - 10:56:17 PST

He Jared,

I'd just start with a good physical inspection.
When I went to change the shoes on mine, I
noticed that the little wire at the bottom of the
shoes (which promotes the correct spacing of the
shoes at rest, as far as I could tell) was
broken. It looked to be a stout piece of about
1/8" wire, so I just made a replacement strap out
of mild plate and bolted it on (one of the bolts
was eccentric, as I recall).

If you're pushing floorward on the lever, make
sure that the cable itself is moving. The cable
itself in the cab terminates in a threaded stud
on the handle side for being able to adjust
tension, and if the bottom adjustment nut is low
on the stud, I bet you could push that handle to
the floor and the cable wouldn't move.

I'd get under there and just see what's cooking.
I really mention this because on these trucks you
can manipulate most of that componentry by hand
and it's very accessible. I'm 6'6" and I was able
to perform most of my repairs from a sitting
position.

Oh yeah, grab your grease gun and use it while
you're under there. There are about 15 to 20
thousand zerk fittings in that area and those
things always appreciate the attention. Since
it's a brake part I use a higher temp spec grease
in such places. Also if it's stuck in position,
don't grease it before you shoot it to heck with
a good penetrant (the best of which is obviously
open to debate but hint: WD 40 ain't penetrant).

Cheers
Bob Ternes
68 M35a2 and general truck nut

--- Jared Kondratuk <jared_k@earthlink.net>