Re: [MV] Invasion OT

From: Convoy Magazine (convoymagazine@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 16 2005 - 05:03:20 PST

Boy this is one subject that gets me and I must agree
with the comments made previously by others!

1. China is sucking up the worlds raw materials while
pretty much (in general terms) conserving theirs.
HMMM why? When everyone elses resources are eventually
become low, China will still have lots of there own to
fall back on. (strategic concern)

(EG.I have seen several photos showing absolute clear
cutting deforestation of neighbouring countries to
feed Chinese demand. The barren hills lead to a sharp
demarcation where lush forest begins...China. Also as
mentioned by others in this thread, scrap steel, and
oil prices are going higher all the time because of
Chinese demand)

2. Several clothing mills in Canada have recently been
bankrupted by Chinese production, closed down,
thousands of jobs lost. The mighty (Cdn-based) Bata
shoes, closing all Canadian stores due to same. China,
having purchased a US battery maker a couple of years
ago became the world 3rd largest battery supplier
(prety important concern methinks). China just
obtained an important part of IBM.....

Anyway, the two points here are: once the Chinese have
eliminated competition (and weakened Western economies
through job loss), what do you think will happen to
prices? and two, strategic concerns.

3. (an aside) when looking in a hardware store (big
chain type) I asked young sales person.."yeah but
don't you have this item made in Canada?" reply- "Oh
we don't make anything here anymore." Yikes! but
almost true!

4.By saving a few cents in the short term buying
Chinese made stuff, we are doing ourselves SERIOUS
longterm damage..economically, and perhaps
strategically. As much as possible I avoid buying
Chinese stuff and buy Cdn or US. The little extra that
costs is, to me, well worth it to keep my country's
economy afloat and my own countrymen working.

5.Strategically, China is building a vast, and very
modern military, and even if it's not the 1st rate
high tech stuff the US has, to use a metaphor: as
proven in WWII, a thousand 2nd rate tanks, can easily
defeat a few hundred 1st rate tanks, (planes,
missiles, whatever)

6 Prediction: If China invades Taiwan, the US will
huff and puff but do nothing.

Your thoughts?