M35A2 Multifuel Runaway Concern.

From: avarvarigo@aol.com
Date: Thu Mar 17 2005 - 09:52:56 PST

Hi all. This might be a boring and a bit long note but I just wanted to
make sure that I understand correctly about the dangers of the above
happening on a Deuce.
To start, I have a Deuce multifuel non Turbo that has been running fine
and it gets started every couple of weeks just to run it a bit even if
I don't have the time to take it out on a short ride.
Usually I do take it out even if around the neighborhood to let things
circulate some.
My Deuce is also maintained well, (I believe), with work done
professionally, if needed.
Originally when I got it I was, (as still am) very happy to have it,
then some guys came about, sending
notes on this list about the dangers of the split ring wheels and cases
of people that really got hurt.
At that point some fear / concern came over me and I asked my silly
questions that were answered by
you all, putting me at ease about the way they work.
Well, I read my books, looked at my pictures and somewhere along the
line the engine runaway came up and the recommendation of getting the
h... out of the truck and run away, was suggested by the service
manuals if it happens. Kinda tough to do when you live in an Urban
environment, without somebody or something getting hurt.
Also some notes and written material, again came to light with guys
blocking the intake of the air filter housing and the hole in the back
to suffocate the engine.
Well, again since all ok here, I put it in the back of my head.
However there were some recent notes with guys talking about the same
thing again and making it sound quite scary and maybe something that
could happen to anyone at anytime???
What's the chances of a good running truck having the above happen?
I mean, who has enough time, God forbid, something like this was to
happen, to get out in the middle of a street, pop the hood open, get
tools to loosen the mushroom, plug the holes and still be alive and dry.
Any suggestions, thoughts or am I losing it?
I definitely don't want to let my truck go, but the idea of me or
anyone around me getting hurt is not my idea of fun.

Thank you all,
Tony.