M1009 cooling system

From: M151 (m151@cox.net)
Date: Thu Mar 17 2005 - 18:45:59 PST

If the cap is off the radiator and the engine is running there is a fountain
of coolant out of the spout. When it runs sealed up like normal, a big slug
of the coolant hits the expansion tank but does not go back to the radiator
when cools. If you run the truck and leave it all day, when you take the
radiator cap off it still whooshes, so it is holding pressure.

Thermostat and radiator cap replaced but no change. Oil does not have foam
or anything in it, no smell of fuel, ditto for the coolant.

Any suggestions of what to check next? Have heard the ugly words "head
gasket" but wouldn't a gasket failure screw up the coolant and give a diesel
smell or turn it black or something?

Not my vehicle but driving me crazy, so I came to the well of knowledge in
hopes of a drink.
David Brubaker
MVPA # 18115
KCØNZN