Re: [MV] HUMVEE ROLLOVERS - Ferret Question

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Mar 19 2005 - 12:10:21 PST

At 11:16 AM -0800 3/19/05, Rich Sherman wrote:

>I suppose this is obvious, but is this significantly different between the
>Mk1, Mk1/2 and Mk 2/3?

Most definitely . The turret on the Mk2/3
(especially the uparmored ones) significantly
raises the center of gravity. Even the gunner's
presence standing up high on the top of the
vehicle can add enough rotational moment to cause
the vehicle to roll. This was conveyed by several
members of the ferret users group which served in
them in places all over the world. Several
accounts on Ferret Heaven describe rollovers in
service and the ferret two step.

I would expect that the increased weight on the
doors and roof of the UP armored HMMWV, even with
the wide stance would still greatly raise the
Center of Gravity. A roof mounted weapon station
w/ front and side/rear armor, ready use ammo and
other gear would also raise it such that high
speed maneuvers, tire damage and side slopes
could easily cause rollovers that would not
normally be a problem for a non-uparmored hmmwv.

--
--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/3)