Re: [MV] Mack Navy truck on ebay

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Fri Apr 01 2005 - 08:58:45 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wayne Harris" <papercu@hotmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2005 10:50 PM
Subject: [MV] Mack Navy truck on ebay

> 1981 DM821SX MACK TRACTOR w/ HD Winch. Check out this statement they have
in
> their listing. Wayne
>
> ***PLEASE NOTE THE DOOR JAM LISTS THE UNIT AS HAVING A 80,000 GVW.
> According to our sources at NSN, this was done so they could travel from
> Norfolk to other bases through the tunnels. We possess documentation from
> Mack showing a 100,000# GVW.***

At work we have a 1962 International Emeryville ex-US NAVY truck with
exactly the same setup and I *think* exactly the same winch. These trucks
could be father and son. The winch looks as though it could pull the
turrets off a battleship, but as yet we haven't figured out what the thing
might've been used for in Navy service. We've had suggestions ranging from
ammunition hauling to Polaris missile transportation to boat launch and
recovery, but thus far nothing definitive. Whatever it hauled it was either
extremely heavy, or extremely reluctant to "come aboard".