Re: [MV] M38A1 24 volt battery system

From: Bill Kealey (cwkealey@atlanticbb.net)
Date: Sat Apr 02 2005 - 15:25:48 PST

Richard,

I used a similar battery replacement on my M38A1 when I first bought it over
15 years ago. I have replaced the batteries once since then but the vehicle
has had to sit much of the last 10 years I'm sorry to say. Hope to have it
back on the road this summer as I now have a place to work on it and my 12
year old son is showing interest in working on it. I have to get his help
before he starts showing more interest in working on girls so it will have
to be soon ... <grin>

The batteries that I used were whatever I could find at the best price and
that would sit in the box. The cables were never an issue. Just make sure
that the terminals are in the right location and you should be fine with it.
And unless you are going to be judged on how original the jeep is I wouldn't
worry about it. Mine is not a show vehicle but will be used everyday
whenever I want to drive it and will be used for playing in the woods so I
am not worried about the batteries being correct. Otherwise, the appearance
on the outside is important for me as I will be using the jeep in parades
with the Mountainside Marines in this area and I want them to ride proudly
in the jeep as well as the truck. I also want my vehicles to look like they
are being used by military units in the field and not show room ready.

I don't know if the military batteries hold up better or not with cranking
as my engine never had problems starting and was always quick starting even
in winter.

Hope this helps you with your decision.

Bill Kealey
1982 Honda GL500 Interstate Silverwing
MVPA #24623
1954 Willys M38A1 USMC jeep
1972 AM Gen M35A2 USA 2-1/2 ton truck w/winch
1985 Turtle Mountain MFG. M105A2 USAF 1-1/2 ton trailer