Re: [MV] Future of MV's?

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Sun Apr 03 2005 - 09:36:35 PDT

One of the big problems with Hydrogen is that in order to get enough
fuel in a reasonable space it has to be compressed to well over 1000
psi. Anyone who has handled welding and scuba cylinders knows that they
are some dangers in having high pressure cylinder near people - forget
about the contents.

Virtually every welding shop I've been into will make you sign an
affadavit if you put a welding gas cylinder in the truck of your car.
They usually have a picture of a car that had a cylinder let go in the
truck. Looks like it was hit with a bomb.

However, if Hydrogen does become the way to go, I'm sure that teams of
engineers will somehow figure out a way to make it reasonably safe.
After all we all live with gasoline in our cars and that is not exactly
safe either if handled inappropiately.

I don't know if many people have realized this yet, but with the rising
cost of oil, electric resistance heat is starting to look favorable cost
wise compared to oil heat in houses in many areas. If you are in the
HVAC business, I think there may be some good opportunites to save some
people money by installing electric resistance heating systems or heat
pumps in the near future! I know it's hard to believe, but that is the
way the numbers work out. When electricity is cheaper than oil, oil is
just too expensive.

Dave - ground water heat pump with electricity at $.04/kwhr - life ain't
too bad!