Re: [MV] rocket launchers

From: Stephen Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Sun Apr 03 2005 - 20:01:17 PDT

Hello Everette,

> I just saw a film clip taken on Iwo showing rocket launchers mounted
> on what
> appeared to be WC51's and/or WC52's. Clip showed Marines loading
> rockets
> and them being fired.
> Anyone know any more about these??

My books are all packed away at the moment, but my guess is this was a
field modification of the same system mounted on Shermans (aka
Calliope). I'm not all that good with PTO/USMC history, but there was
nothing like this in the ETO. At least nothing official. I doubt
there was anything official in the PTO either. Gotta love the American
soldier... if it goes bang, and it can fit onto something that moves...
it will be sooner rather than later ! :-)

Steve