fuel

From: earl.beverly@us.abb.com
Date: Tue Apr 05 2005 - 09:44:48 PDT

Hi All,
Here are two links with information about thermal cracking waste motor oil
(WMO).
The first by Don Kress is pretty thourough. -
http://www.ped.vianet.ca/article2.pdf
The second site is the guy in S. Carolina with a two acre plant at a
killion gallons per hour - http://www.greenoasis.com/
This is a VERY good looking plant. I just dont have the 4 million to buy
it. A few friends and I have been pondering about it though.
( right now I only need 3, 999, 994 more friends)

Carbon coke forms on the catalyst in the UOP type cat crackers. This coke
is burned off providing the heat for the process and leaving clean catalyst
to be used again. (These units will process very heavy oil - the feed
stock looks like solid axle grease at room temp) (I did a lot of work in
the 90's for Fina at their PT. Arthur and Big Spring Refineries. Both were
running origional UOP rivited Cat crackers at the time)

The Lummus type cracking process is done with pipe tubes inside of fired
heaters. The coke adhears to the tube walls. Air and steam is injected to
allow the coke to burn off. The heaters are set up to cycle so one will be
cracking while the other burns off the coke. ( this system likes lighter
feed stock - feed it naptha and get ethylene)(I work with ABB/Lummus now
building an ethylene unit here in Rio)

The Foster Wheeler cracker design allows huge vessels to entirely coke up.
The vessels are then drilled from the bottom up allowing the coke to fall
in 6" chunks into rail cars. This coke is sold to power plants and used
same as coal. ( I actually worked on the FW Decokers that are installed at
Lyondell in Houston)
To tell the truth, I don't remember too much about them)

All three systems produce hot gasseous hydrocarbons that are distilled to
product.

Each of the above systems have been around for a while. Some are modifyed
from old German designs. Each company has developed reliable, proven
technology, but there is plenty of room for improvment on all fronts.

Once again I want to build "small". A coleman lantern is an example of a
cracking process. The fuel (gasoline or naptha) is pumped up to and heated
in the lantern generator (the brass tube between the mantels), cracked into
gas, then burned cleanly in the mantels.

Earl