Re: [MV] replacing head gaskets

From: Marc Strangfeld (mjstrangfeld@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Apr 06 2005 - 13:16:29 PDT

Dave

At least we know you have the right gaskets
already....Anyway, as far as removing the heads as one
unit, you'll have to break them apart on the bench to
surface them anyway. But I put mine on as one unit
with the manifolds bolted on loosely, and when
everything was in place, loosened the manifolds and
torqued the heads when they weren't connected solidly
to each other, then tighted the manifolds back up.
This was easier than putting them on one at a time and
then trying to line the manifolds up. As far as
surfacing, the valves stayed in my heads as they were
below the seal. It took .005-.008 to clean them up
(if I remember right) The valves were inspected but
it was deemed unnecessary to take them out, ie. lots
of extra labor.
Remember to give the pushrods a good shaking to
release them from the lifters. If you do pull one, or
two, or three out it's not impossible to put them back
in but it takes a little time.

Hopefully you have some good help as it goes a lot
easier and faster, especially when hoisting the heads
on and off. I talked a veteran do it all mechanic
into helping me with mine and realize I couln't have
done it without him. He also kept good humor
throughout which helped also. "What are you, STUPID?
Didn't I tell you not to pull any lifters out!)
Another good one was when I was cleaning the block off
and decided to blow some compressed air down one of
the coolant holes. I asked Roger if that would help
keep coolant from weeping out onto the block surface,
all he mumbled, was "sure, go ahead" I don't know
what I was thinking but I got a thorough shower of
antifreeze. He still gets hysterical when the story
comes up.

Good Luck,

Marc Strangfeld