Re: [MV] Cost of petrol tax in Sweden, anyone?

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 07 2005 - 13:35:47 PDT

You have some good points about per capita use.

When I was younger, I met a family on the south Rim of the Grand Canyon
and they were from Finland. They rented a Motorhome on the east coast
of the US and thought they would spend a couple weeks driving around the
USA. I remember them saying that they didn't understand why we were
such car fanatics until they got to the US and realized it was 3000
miles from ocean to ocean and the drive from the east coast to the Grand
Canyon was a little longer than they expected.

And while we really need a better rail system in this country. It would
be impossible to install enough rails to service every burg and ville in
the US. We have a lot of area in this country. Especially compared
with Europe. We will have cars for a long time, I have no idea what
they will be running on in 50 years, but I doubt it will be Saudi oil.

I don't know how the Europeans can live with $7 and $8/gallon fuel
prices. The US economy undergo some drastic changes with those kinds of
prices.

Dave