Re: [MV] Cost of petrol tax in Sweden, anyone?

From: Convoy Magazine (convoymagazine@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 07 2005 - 14:32:24 PDT

In Canada, various taxes equal about 50% of pump
costs..

Important note however, Canada could produce enough
for its own needs and imports relatively little.

In fact, and our US friends should really be aware of
this, Canada is a MAJOR supplier of oil, gasoline and
natural gas to the US....like number one (!)or two on
a monthly basis!

Check it out yourself at the API site.(american
petroleum institute)
eg CRUDE- saudi arabia no 1 supplier to the US????
NOPE, Canada!!!! (nov 2004 stat)

Anyway, we're currently at or above $1.00 litre.
Why so high when we could set the prices ourselves?
Hey its a capitalist country and there's a hell of a
lot of profit in toeing OPEC's line!

As for why there's such a high demand..anyone will
tell you...China.. and it's only going to go higher as
more Chinese buy vehicles..

STill, Europeans should NOT be so quick to condemn the
US (and Canada as we're somewhat similar in this area)
for buying bigger vehicles.

I've lived in Europe for several years, and until
you've lived here, it may be difficult to understand..

This is a HUGE continent!!! Drive for a couple of
hours in Europe and you're often in another country.
Drive for a couple of hours in North America and you
night not even see another city within the same
state/province. You could fit the UK into the province
of Ontario several times over, let alone think about
the continent. (Ontario = over 1-million sq km., and
the province of Quebec is bigger, UK total land mass
-Scot/Wales/Eng= 229,961 sqkm)

The two major eastern cities in Canada Montreal and
Toronto are about 600km apart. We have lakes bigger
than some countries!

Because of the size, there is generally a great deal
more distance to be covered between cities than
Europe. Also the passenger rail system is not anywhere
near as developed as in Europe..and unlikely to ever
be as developed..the population density and hence use,
is not nearly enough to justify it.

Lifestyle in North America is more mobile meaning
family and friends are often move quite some distance
away. All this means its just no fun to drive hours on
end in little econo-boxes..

In the end, security and not pollution may be the
motivator as US companies seek alternatives to
petrol..
as indicated on a recent posting on this list re a new
GM military vehicle using hydrogen..
We'll see.