Re: [MV] British military superiority - tid bits

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Apr 08 2005 - 12:24:47 PDT

At 12:00 PM -0700 4/8/05, Rick v100 wrote:
>If the British were so superior how then could they
>not produce there own design to beat the Tiger?

They did. It was the Centurion. 32 Pounder gun, Besa Coaxial MG, 20mm Orlikon Cannon, lots of armor. It wasn't more armored than the tiger, but it was a better all around tank. And it lasted in service far longer too.
http://www.armourinfocus.co.uk/a41/index.htm

However, the Germans actually sent themselves down a blind ally by going for super tanks like the tiger when they really needed good all around tanks like the panther.

>They had more experience with fighting German's, had
>first hand experience of the 88mm effect on its armor
>in the desert prior to the 88mm being installed on a
>tank and yet they did not produce a vehicle with
>sufficent armor to protect its crew either.

They eventually, did, the Black Prince was an evolution towards that, but the sheer power of the 88 made that difficult to do with out resorting to a plodding beast that can't break 10 mph. This was the A39 Tortise.
http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/7413/a39tortoise.html

>I would suggest that it was a combination of problems
>and can not be simply laid at the feet of GM.

Exactly.

--
--
-                 Data Center Operations Group                -