Overhead car/truck safety stands

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Sat Apr 09 2005 - 11:57:36 PDT

OK, this is a weird question - but if any group might know, I thought it
would be you guys.

I have a large forklift - rated at 9000 lbs. And I have fork extensions
for it that allow it to easily lift pickup trucks, cars, vans, an easy 6
feet off the ground.

I want to use this thing as a car lift so I can do work under vehicles
easier. However, I don't feel comfortable going underneath the vehicle
when only supported by the forklift - for what I think are obvious reasons.

I would like to make or obtain some tall safety stands made for this
type of thing. I have seen them, but I have no idea where to get them.

I was thinking that I could make some up using house floor jacks that
are pretty cheap. Weld on a base with some diagonal legs, etc. I'm
confident in my welding and metal fabrication ability - and I tend to
over design anyway, especially when my life could depend on it.

What do you guy think and what do you do in order to work under your
vehicles - (at least the lighter and lower ones)

This won't be happening with my 5 ton dump.

Does anyone have plans for tall safety stands or know of a reasonable
source?

Thanks,

Dave - 6'-2" tall and wanting to stay that way.