Re: [MV] Cost of petrol tax in Sweden, anyone?

From: Patrick Jankowiak (recycler@swbell.net)
Date: Sun Apr 10 2005 - 12:00:29 PDT

All in all, it's taking a toll on the frequency of the driving of
HMV's.

Here in the great state of Texas we have a choice of several
offroad parks. The closest one worth going to, 650 acres in area,
is about 80 miles distant. That's the thing with us folks here in
the USA, the distances are often much greater, so when fuel goes
up, it is an inconveninece.

Every weekend, a 160 mile round trip in the M35 pulling an M105
with an ATV on it.. So there's $44 for fuel where it used to be
about $30. When diesel gets to $5/gallon, I think the M35 is
going to become too expensive to operate as I usually do. Keeping
in mind that I like to -drive- it, and not just polish mud off of
the fenders.

This is not meant to be a complaint, as fuel is still relatively
cheap here. I wonder if fuel cost is why I seldom hear much of
mass participation in motorsports (track, offroad, etc. and I do
mean every weekend) from Europe? The cost of fuel has priced Mr.
& Mrs. European and their friends out of the hobby?

I know that in some places, insurance is charged by engine size.
My Belgian co-worker says that even if I could afford the fuel, I
could never afford the insurance for the 4.6 liter Crown Vic, let
alone the M35.

Should I just give it all up and learn to play soccer?
At least guns&ammo are still cheap!

PJ