Re: [MV] MV destruction - USS AMERICA

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Apr 12 2005 - 15:35:44 PDT

Come on guys, get real. You can computer model things as much as
possible, but sometimes you have to do some real destructive testing
to see if the models really do what you expect them to.

As the US, we've had Aviation ships coming out of our ears.
http://www.hazegray.org/navhist/carriers/us_index.htm

As a Non-Nuke Boat, the America is never going to get reactivated and
on her last cruise she was showing her age rather badly. She's been
sitting in Philly since '97 and I doubt any town has the budget to
support putting her up for display like any number of other carriers
are. I'll be happy if we have one of each class up for display
someplace in the world.

I'd love to See Canada buy her or someone, but she's probably so worn
out that a SLEP upgrade would be cost prohibitive. Kitty Hawk and
Constellation both had a
SLEP(http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/systems/dvic050.htm), The JFK which
is a modified form of the Kitty Hawk class which was a modified form
of the Forrestal class. And even she's having a hard time finding a
home in Tampa. She's been waiting in Newport RI for her berth in
Florida.

Saratoga's sitting in Philly for disposal
Ranger's sitting at Bremerton for disposal
Independance is sitting in reserve.
Kitty Hawk is still operational.
Constellation is scheduled to be sunk as a reef, The Reagan replaced her.
        (http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/64.htm)
JFK is still operational.

Add to those we've got 9 Nimitz carriers running around (Nimitz, Ike,
the Vinson, TR, Abe Lincoln, GW, Stennis, Truman and R. Reagan). Then
there's the Enterprise, and the aforementioned K.Hawk and JFK. 12
Fleet Carriers just like we like it. Everyone else has 0. Then we've
got another Nimitz Class, CVN-77 that started building in Newport
News in March of 01. That'll be a whole new ball of wax as the
transition ship (Evolved Nimitz) for the CVNX program that'll bring
our carrier designs into the 21st century. The next ship (CVN-78) in
the pipeline will be laid down in 2006.
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/cvn-77.htm

If you want to see more discussion on the CVNX program check out the
archive on google from Sci.military.naval
http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?as_q=CVNX+CVN-77&num=10&scoring=r&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_ugroup=sci.military.naval&as_usubject=&as_uauthors=&lr=&as_drrb=q&as_qdr=&as_mind=1&as_minm=1&as_miny=1981&as_maxd=12&as_maxm=4&as_maxy=2005&safe=off

If they get Forrestall and the Kitty Hawk setup as museums then I'll
be content that some part of history is preserved. Next, we'll have
to hope ask for a Nimitz exhibit. Asking for more in tight budget
times is hard. I'd rather see the dollars go to the troops than to an
exhibit if it's a choice. At least the ex-USS America will be used
for destructive testing that will potentially save lives in the
future.

--
--
-                 Data Center Operations Group                -