Re: [MV] MV destruction - USS AMERICA

From: 69barracuda@mchsi.com
Date: Tue Apr 12 2005 - 18:20:35 PDT

Actually...having served on 4 aircraft carriers I can see every reason TOO use
her as a test article. Computer models only go so far. You want to digitaly map
every square inch of a super carrier?

Studying first hand the effects of battle damage and warship survivability is
the best way to improve future ships. Heck, we do aircraft survivability
testing here all the time. It's sound research and aids development of future
battlesystems. Useing a full scale test article like an aircraft carrier only
make sense in the R&D world. Why do you think they still crash cars in
testing...if a computer could do it all....there wouldn't BE any live crash
testing....

besides...scrapping it would only give the Chi-Comms MORE high quality steel
that we'll get back in one form or another (crappy consumer products or
recently fired munitions)

Rob

--
'68 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback