CUCV keys-what you need to know

From: Julian Burke (julian@knology.net)
Date: Sun Apr 17 2005 - 20:12:14 PDT

   Enough dribble about what may or may not be about CUCV keys!! The CUCV
family of vehicles in the military system are about the only mil-veh's that
had keys for the ignition. GM and the Gov't worked out this key system to
prevent forseen catastrophies. ALL CUCV's had the key system keyed to a
"73Y2" which will translate into a "313531" cut code which your locksmith
can cut to. If you lose your keys, just go to any good locksmith who makes
keys and tell him/her to make a GM key "313531" on a "J" or "B" blank.
That's it. If it uses another key, it has been changed.

     If anyone is interested, I have a complete steering column W/O steering
wheel that is also a "tilt" from a 1986 Chevy that will fit any CUCV. It
has a key that is different that will afford a better security for your
CUCV. Put a 1988-94 Chevy wheel on it and it will make a nice addition for
your CUCV and more comfortable too!! It is complete with all switches, etc.
I paid $125 for it and never used it. It is in good condition and would
like to get my money back. Can deliver to Aberdeen. Julian Burke