NEEDED: Standyne 80, fuel filter housing

From: Tom Kelly (tjk2356@webtv.net)
Date: Mon Apr 18 2005 - 10:27:59 PDT

 A big thanks to all who responded to my pleas for help in my seemingly
never ending CUCV Saga. If you remember from the last two months or so,
I installed a rebuilt injector pump, but couldn't get her to start.
Bottom line after screwing around with the pump for 2+ weeks, I FINALLY
do a compression test. Extremely bad news, the cylinders go from 320lbs
down to 180lbs.......DOH!!! So I ordered an engine from Ted's Trucks and
Stuff (thanks Ted, it arrived here in good shape).

 While pulling the old engine Saturday, I managed to crush and snap off
the little plastic fitting on the bottom of the fuel filter housing (it
slides into the filter when installed). I don't know if I can remove and
replace that fitting (nipple?), or, if I need an entirely new housing.
If anyone is parting out a CUCV I would be interested in buying the fuel
filter housing. I'll bet your supposed to remove the housing from the
firewall, before removing the engine. NOW I know! (as usual the hard
way)

 Just for your amusement, and to cheer you up, if you're up to your neck
in vehicle problems, my other cucv decided to abort it's transmission 2
weeks ago:-( . So I pulled the tranny out of the non-running cucv and
switched them, which wouldn't be all that terrible, except I just moved
to the country, and been too broke to get my shop built yet, so I had
the fun experience of doing this all in the dirt!

 I have a saying...."Life isn't fair, it's just interesting"...and that
was an interesting experience, I can tell you that! Well, despite all
these problems, I thank God it isn't any worse, heck, I could have been
born in Ethiopia or the Sudan, and had a lot more pressing issues than
these.

 Well, I'm off to the great outdoors to start stripping my new hummve
engine, so I can strip the old cucv engine, and put it's stuff on it. At
least I don't have to do this in the dirt! I installed a swinging engine
hoist (from Northern Equipment), in the back of my deuce, and have one
engine on a stand, and the bad one on a pallet, supported by the boom.
Hopefully it'll be a little cleaner up in the back of the deuce.

 Contact me off list if you have a Standyne 80 filter base for sale, or
if you know whether or not I can just replace the plastic fitting.

Thanks - Tom Kelly
Buckeye, AZ