Re: [MV] CUCV - Overdrive?

From: Brian Placzankis (plaz@mac.com)
Date: Sat Apr 23 2005 - 07:52:27 PDT

Great Topic!

All this talk about 700R4s and not a peep about the 4L60 (the early
ones without the "E"). The 4L60 is the TH700R4 that has been
perfected. GM used it on trucks from around 1988-91 and then went to
the 4L60E. These transmissions can definitely still be bought. They
definitely cost a bit more than the the 700R4s but are free of much
of the 700R4s biggest weaknesses. Musclecar transmission shops sell
even more beefed up versions of them.

I will be using one of these when I get to the overdrive project on
my M1008.

Also if buying one of the repro dashes for the CUCV, make sure it is
one of the polyurethane ones. That way it won't crack up like the
original vinyl ones did under UV.

plaz
1985 M1008