Re: [MV] OT: Sandblasting and Painting Military Vehicles

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Mon Apr 25 2005 - 22:40:28 PDT

I used Silica sand before I knew better and now only use black beauty or
equal. Their are several makers of coal slag blasting media. Most of
the big road construction and concrete construction supply houses sell
the stuff.

I have two blast pots now. One is a Lindsay and the other one is a
no-name ASME pot but it had all of the best commercial controls on it -
full remotes, etc. They are both 200 lb pots and that is about right.
After blasting 200 lbs of sand, I'm ready for a break. I bought the
Lindsay for about $150 which was a steal. The second pot was $600, but
it came with 50 feet of sand hose and over 100 feet of air hose.

I would defintely recommend a pressure pot blaster. They are just much
more efficient than siphon units. Get as much air as possible. A 10hp
  electric is not too much for a 3/16 nozzle. Anything bigger than that
and a gas or diesel compresor makes sense. They can be rented for about
$80/day.

If you get things setup properly and have the primer shaken already
before you start blasting, you can blast, blow off the dust and excess
sand and shoot paint right after you finish blasting. If you are doing
something big, it can certainly wear you out. Those 100 lbs bags of
sand get heavy after pouring in 6 or 7 of them.

But I haven't found anything better way to remove a lot of old paint and
rust. It's dirty but it's worth it in the end.

Whatever you do, make sure you wear a really good respirator (not a 25
cent paper mask) and use it. Even black beauty dust can make you sick
if you get enough in your lungs. A supplied air mask is best, but I
have never used one. If I blasted stuff more than once a month I would
get one.

Just remember, you can replace sheetmetal, but lungs are a little more
difficult to swap out.

Dave