Paint removal tool recommendation

From: Buzz (buzz@softcom.net)
Date: Thu Apr 28 2005 - 13:00:27 PDT

Guys,
Here's a tool that works GREAT! at removing several coats of paint FAST.
It's a Needle Scaler from HOBO Freight.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=1108

I first used it on my old forklift that was splashed with concrete.
http://www.softcom.net/users/buzz/yale/forklift.html

I was amazed to see that it not only went through the concrete, but also several
layers of paint down to the original yellow color and even bare metal.
I tried it on an aluminum cabinet with: green, blue, yellow, green coats and
once again down to bare metal.
I tried it on a double coated fender and had no luck, except where there was
bondo. The tool took the bondo right off.
For minimal damage on the aluminum panels I found that I needed a lighter touch,
and I had to keep the tool perpendicular to the surface.
I think that the success of the tool is due to the fact that most military
vehicles are painted OD (Over Dirt) so it doesn't take much to knock off the
paint. Especially on aluminum.
Stay tuned for results on CARC removal.

As usual, your results my vary.

Buzz