Re: [MV] lumen paint

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu May 05 2005 - 14:13:13 PDT

At 1:31 PM -0500 5/5/05, Coby Phillips wrote:
>Illuminating them with UV light looks neat too. Even dials that have lost their glow illuminate brightly with UV light.

The RAdium paint would cause zinc sulfide to fluoresce when bombarded. The problem with the radium is that if it's leaking out (ie flaking off) it's going to give off various forms of low and high energy radiation. If you get bits of this in your system then those bits will bombard your surrounding tissue with radiation as they decay.

As I understand it, if you have some of these materials, don't scratch the paint off, don't screw around with them and don't work on the parts in your skivies while eating food. Minimize the exposure to the dust. The problem with this warehouse is probably that the amount of flaking dust makes the concentration so high that it is in fact dangerous. If it was just a few carefully stored gauges each in a bag, then it probably wouldn't be such a problem. But there's probably so much bits of radium in flaking paint on the floor and in the air that it is a hazard to someone going into the room.

Remember radiation exposure is cumulative. The more you get, the more of a hazard it is.

--
--
-                 Data Center Operations Group                -