Does your M series B.O. drive light work? Well who cares anyway?

From: Buzz (buzz@softcom.net)
Date: Fri May 06 2005 - 21:41:31 PDT

Listers,
A few years ago at a public MV show a guy that was looking over my MUTT
commented that he drove one of those in Nam. He went on to tell me that if a
MUTT needed to be jump started they would place them so that the front left
wheel hubs were touching. Then they would disconnect the B.O. drive light wire
and push out the terminals so they could hold them together with a rag. Then
with both of the jeeps B.O. drive light switches turned on they could sometimes
jump start the dead jeep. I thought at the time, well yeah it MIGHT work, but
with a 14 ga. wire and a circuit breaker in the switch not for long. So I
forgot about the story.
A few days ago I came upon two M series light switches that were red tagged so I
decided to open them up to see what was wrong. The fist one had a burned
contact, OK, so I opened the other one. Son of a gun! The same burned contact,
but there was also a short where one wire crossed another and had melted through
the insulation.
Now guess what??? the burned contacts fed the B.O. drive light! So I guess
that there was some truth in the vet's story after all. I wonder how many more
burned switches are out there?

Buzz