Re: [MV] Death Wobble

From: Bob Ternes (racecadet@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun May 08 2005 - 18:12:15 PDT

...and when you go and purchase new bushings, ask
them for "track bar" bushings. ;) "Control arms"
applies to a different part in suspension. Shucks
though, what do I know, I have an 87 F350 sitting
around somewhere and I didn't even realize that
the front 60 even has a trackbar. ;)

I didn't catch the original post, but I see that
a thread has been started on deathwobble. I'd
advise the original poster to search on
"deathwobble" "death wobble" and "DW" and hit as
many fourwheeling sites as he has patience for.
Bottom line is that 99% DW is either caused by
loose or worn componentry, a faulty steering
stabilizer, or out of round tires. Searching on
the above cited sites will just tell you where on
the vehicle to look.

Oh yeah, once you drop the track bar and press
out the bushings or whatever you do to repair,
the "turning the steering wheel" trick that
Richard mentioned for diagnosis is actually the
"trick" way to get the bolt holes lined up again
in the trackbar - helps a million to have a
helper (can be uneducated in the finer aspects of
truckdom, just make sure he/she turns the wheel
SLOWLY!).

Cheers
Bob
DW survivor