Re: [MV] HMMWV smokes and loses oil pressure downhill

From: Darrell Ramsell (daram@comcast.net)
Date: Wed May 11 2005 - 09:47:36 PDT

Vince

Continuing on water a little more, make sure your gas cap is sealing
properly. If it's not sealing tight water can get in that way from rain or
when you wash your car.

When I bought my HMMWV the first thing I did was change all the fluids and
filter. When I got to the fuel filter it was covered with rust flakes.
After a through search I found a big cone of small rust flakes on the bottom
of my gas tank just below the fuel neck. I believe moisture was getting
past the fuel cap which caused the fuel neck to rust. As time went on the
flakes deposited on the bottom of the tank. I was very surprised since I
thought the fuel neck was aluminum. I ended up having to drop and clean the
tank and flush the entire fuel line.

Anyway, I'm sure this is not the problem with your vehicle but I wanted to
share what other problem can occur when you have water in your fuel.

Darrell