Re: [MV] Military Generators

From: Mark J. Blair, NF6X (nf6x@nf6x.net)
Date: Fri May 13 2005 - 18:05:20 PDT

John Stewart-Smith wrote:
> I want to buy a 3-phase diesel generator. It would have to be 10KW or less.
> I know that I need 110/208Vac, preferably in the 3KW to 5KW range. I will
> mount it on the front half of an M832 dolly transporter mobilizer.
> Here we go:
> What is available?
> How much do they weigh?
> Who has one for sale?
> All information appreciated!!!

I have an MEP-003A 10kW diesel genset (it's not for sale; I'm just
providing information). It has an air-cooled 4-cylinder diesel engine.
It is VERY LOUD by itself; I managed to find a NOS in the crate Acoustic
Suppression Kit (ASK) for it which reduced the noise level enough that
hearing protection isn't needed, but it's still not quiet.

The weight is around 1,200 pounds with the ASK installed, if I remember
correctly. The diesel sets are considerably heavier than the gasoline
sets; a 10kW gas generator (I have some of those that I'd like to
unload, by the way) is closer to 900 pounds, as I recall. The MEP-003A
has a built-in 12 gallong fuel tank, and a fuel transfer pump which can
automatically keep the built-in tank topped up from an external source
such as a 55 gallon drum. The MEP-003A is not set up for remote starting
and stopping. It will generate 120/208V 3 phase power, as well as
120/240V or plain 120V. Changing the output voltage is simple; you
re-connect the load to the load-terminals for the desired configuration,
and change a rotary tap switch which is located under a metal cover next
to the control compartment. Starting is electric, and the set normally
uses a pair of 6TL batteries like most post-WW-II US military trucks. It
also has an old-style slave cable connector.

I would also like to find a military 5kW diesel genset (I forget the
MEP-xxx number, and my manuals are not handy at the moment) to tow
behind my HMMWV with commo shelter. I currently have my 10kW set mounted
on a 3/4-ton trailer, and it's oversized for that application. A 5kW set
would provide enough power, and take up less room in the trailer. I'd
still keep my 10kW set, but I'd assign it to a different mission.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x@nf6x.net>
Web page: http://www.nf6x.net/