Battery problems for HMMWV

From: Darrell Ramsell (daram@comcast.net)
Date: Sat May 14 2005 - 21:15:45 PDT

Hi all

For the last month or so my battery indicator has been fluctuating from
green to yellow and back. The swings occur every 10 to 40 min. When there
is is a change there appears to be no change in the motor. Also, sometimes
when I turn the engine on it will be in the yellow but if I turn it off an
on again it will usually be in the green (60/40).

I had a friend check the alternator with a voltage meter. The reading was
27.4 volts and the charge was not fluctuating from there. We check the
battery and a couple cells were a little low on water but not much. The
connections had some acid corrosion but nothing major and were washed off
with some coke and water. The connectors were not removed from the battery
when this was done. One of the cable conneting the 2 battries had a bluish
white power coming from it. This was cleaned too. So at this point I'm
thinking my gauge might be bad but I'm still not exaclty sure what the cause
might be. Alternator starting to go bad, battery indicator is no good,
battery cables need replacing.

As you can see I've already started to trouble shoot this thing but I was
wondering if someone could provide me with a kind of proper check list to
trouble shoot this problem so to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.

Thanks

Darrell