Re: [MV] sticky lifter M35A2

From: Patrick Jankowiak (recycler@swbell.net)
Date: Mon May 16 2005 - 20:38:39 PDT

True, and I worried about that for awhile, but if it were that, I
bet it would have blown out 2500 highway miles ago. I've also
looked all around the head-to-engine seam for this noise with a
hollow bic pen case and a rubber tube as a rude stethoscope, and
found no sound like that there, or puffs of gas exiting. I don't
recall anyone saying that the gasket noise comes and goes.

My truck sees 2200-2400RPM for 2-3 hours at a time, with a 6000LB
loaded S-280 in the bed, and pulling an M105 trailer with the
pedal to the metal for hills. Surely this would have done in the
gasket if it were bad? It does not seem to have harmed anything.

If there were not so much "stuff" on the top of the engine and my
back were not so bad, I would be tempted to take off the valve
covers and have a look-see. I suppose oil would splash
everywhere.. Ever run one with the covers off? I could court some
trouble for getting oil all over the driveway.

I really love my truck, even though there's no wench, busted,
rusted, or otherwise.

There was a fellow in Dallas area, from whom I was trying to buy
an M35 a few years ago. The truck he showed me was immaculate,
and it made a similar noise but much louder, so I hesitated and
he later decided he did not want to sell it. He also had a 5-ton
and an M105 trailer, and a Texas FMV-nnn license plate for the
M35. I wonder if he is on the list, and what his 'noise' turned
out to be?

PJ