Re: [MV] sticky lifter M35A2

From: grntrks@juno.com
Date: Tue May 17 2005 - 00:25:44 PDT

Sorry, I did not make my point clear about the use of the starter. I
would not continuously rotate the engine with the starter. The starter
could absolutely overheat. Only engage the starter long enough to bring
one lifter/pushrod/rocker to the top of its stroke, check for excessive
play, then move to the next rocker and repeat for each succeeding rocker.
I agree that for accuracy the engine should be at normal operating temp,
but for our purposes here cold will be best to begin with. You are
looking for 1 or more rockers that may have more movement than the
others. With hydraulic lifters there should be very little or no slack (
I'm not sure on the multi-fuel engine ). With solid lifters there will
be a measurable gap between the rocker and valve stem. Check the T/M for
specs. Again, What you will be looking for is a rocker with more slack
than the others. If you find one, follow the adjustment proceedure in
the T/M.

If you are familiar with setting points on the old cars the engine had to
be BUMPED with the starter to get the cam lobe positioned on the contact
rubbing block so the points would be at their widest gap to set them.
Similar proceedure to find a loose rocker.

Frank

Frank Cox - 'Nam 1966
MVPA 14530
'45 GMC 353 DUKW