new twist to old scam on ebay

From: Mil-Veh Co. (milveh@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Thu May 19 2005 - 08:06:04 PDT

I got a 2nd chance offer to buy a 4X4 ATV from this
scammer who had hijacked a legit eBay's member
account. It sorta worked at first as I did inquire
for more information based on the form letter, then in
his next letter exposed what an ignorant fool he was,
(his email address was a .UK and he was supposed to be
selling from Calif!, that and he could barely write in
English)

WARNING: eBay has a serious problem with frauds.
They are loaded with scammers working people every
day. The crooks must be raking it in, there are so
many!

Example: In about 2 weeks time checking just a few
minutes a day, I identified and reported well over a
$500,000 in frauds and that's only in the eBay motors
section.

I've spoken to eBay reps several times about this
problem, but it was like talking to the wall.

I was able to find the crooks because they all fit a
similar pattern or profile, yet eBay seems unable to
use any sort of filter, seems odd? Instead they say
they rely on members to report suspicious activity.

Law enforcement won't act unless there is an actual
loss and generally it has to exceed $20,000 USD, even
more in the UK. Just reporting a net fraud to police
agencies responsible for this sort of crime is like
pissing in the wind, they are completely overwhelmed
and work about one case in 10,000 reported.

If you use eBay, be careful!