RE: [MV] frauds on eBay

From: Ziptar.mil-veh.list@ziptar.com
Date: Sun May 22 2005 - 05:09:04 PDT

 Not Always true.... Myself and two friends that live in different parts of
the country were all taken by the same ebay seller for $200 to $600 each a
few years back. We all paid with USPS Money orders. The seller that took our
money claimed that he had sent our items via USPS Priority Mail and even
sent each of us scans of the delivery conformation Tags which turned out to
be bogus (when the 3 of us compared all three it was clear it was a scan of
a tag for someone else and then photoshopped with our information). He used
the green hand written tags that are scanned manually when dropped of at the
counter, which he apparently did as the tags he sent us all had hand
cancelled postmarks on them. The USPS had no record of any of the three
packages ever being shipped. We all called our respective postmasters and
got a lot of help from our local PO's and from the PO that the packages were
supposedly mailed from. Needless to say the packages never surfaced.

Each office said they would turn everything they had including all the
documnentation we had sent them to the postal inspectors. 30 Days after they
had supposedly turned it in (now 60 days after the auction) We never herd
from them. In fact none of us ever heard from the USPS again.

We did finally succeed in at least making some trouble for the guy. We were
able to get his ebay account closed, Big Deal... However, we each called the
local Sherriff's office in the county the guy lived in. We worked with a
very nice detective who had each of us send our documentation in, which had
become quite thick by then. The detective then got with the county
prosecutor to see what charges could be filed. Turns out the ripp off
artist had a couple of outstanding warrants for bad checks, so in the mean
time they picked him up on those charges, because the address we were given
by the seller was different than the last known address the Sherriff had.
The detective told us he brought him in on those charges and presented him
with all the documents about his ebay theft, The guy was shocked to find out
we three had been in communication the whole time and finally admitted that
he didn't mail the items and faked the USPS documentation. Last we heard
from the detective he was awaiting sentencing for the outstanding warrants,
the county prosecutor was preparing a felony fraud case against him as well
as working with Postal Inspectors on a Possible Federal Mail Fraud Charge.
We never did get our money back though.