Re: [MV] Reenactors

From: Dan Maguire (dmaguire@mchsi.com)
Date: Sun May 22 2005 - 18:59:41 PDT

> Ignorance aside, I'm not sure how anyone with a clue could think that
> someone in a WWII uniform that's not ~70 years old is anything but a
> re-enactor. Seems like 1/2 of the folks out there re-enacting are vets
> themselves, they don't seem to mind it all. Neither do the WWII vets
> I've met.

I am not saying that some spectators don't mind it. I am sure that some
don't and some do. I am saying that *I* have no desire to wear a
uniform and do not feel comfortable doing so. I don't care what anyone
else thinks about that. It's not about them.

> The Reenactors on this web page look so much better in their WWII
> uniforms with correct kit and other items on their trip . Much better
> with the uniforms than green windbreakers, sneakers, jeans and baseball
> caps. I suspect that even the most ignorant Europeans realized that they
> weren't WWII vets.

That is from your perspective only. I see a page of military vehicle
with a bunch of people standing nearby (mostly) wearing uniforms they
didn't earn. Vets of any era can wear whatever they want, in my
opinion. They know first hand the sacrifice of service and, perhaps,
the horror of war. Any re-enactor wearing a uniform during an actual
re-enactment is also fine by me. But when you are done... please take
them off.

Since I want to look at the military vehicles, I wouldn't care of the
people were in camo thongs. They are just in the way of the vehicles.

>> PS - In response to Tim's earlier dissertation/rant... My hobby isn't
>> changing. I am a military vehicle preservationist and I, for one,
>> have no idea
>> why re-enactors are even acknowledged by the MVPA.
>

> Because some of us do both.

I have started to get into boar hunting. Can I petition the MVPA to
formally recognize boar hunters as a segment of the MVPA? The 50 cal in
my halftrack is an ideal boar hunting weapon. Can MVPA members who are
boar hunters stand by any longer while their voices are stifled and
purpose ignored?!?! I demand that boar hunters get special recognition
within the MVPA! Oh the humanity!

Cheers,
Dan