Re: [MV] M-1009 Help needed

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Mon May 23 2005 - 11:22:00 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ed" <mojoedd@bellsouth.net>
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2005 9:10 AM
Subject: [MV] M-1009 Help needed

> My M-1009 has started to have a very loud belt squeal when cold cranked.
> It has never happened before. It take several minutes for the squeal
> to stop. What is the most likely cause for this??
>
> I have fairly new, (6 months old), belts and from visual inspection and
> checking the tension they both seem to be good. The only thing that I
> can see that might be a problem is the belt that goes to the drivers
> side alternator seems to be hitting the metal cover on the bottom of the
> upper radiator hose. Though if it were the problem wouldn't it continue
> even after a few minutes?

On mine I find that once the belt is allowed to squeak like that for any
length of time (usually first due to a tension issue), they tend to get
'polished' and seem to keep doing it no matter how hard you tighten them.
Apart from that, you might have a wrong size belt which is making
inefficient contact with the pulleys.