Re: [MV] Info needed - 16.5" tires

From: MV (MV@dc9.tzo.com)
Date: Mon May 23 2005 - 16:42:24 PDT

I've done a lot of looking for 16.5 tires. Both radial and non radial
for my 10 ton gooseneck trailer.

The best price I found on heavy duty radials was Firestone tires - about
$115 each - from a Firestone commercial tire dealer.

The best price I found for bias belt tires was from Gateway tire in
Cincinnati - they have Asian 9.5x16.5 tires Load range E - about $85.00-
$90.00 each. (They have other locations.) They also sell 8.75x16.5 tires.

Goodyear still sells a "Workhorse" bias belt tire which is also a load
range E. They were about $99 each from a tire distributor in Northern
Indiana and he will ship them also.

Although the 16.5 tires are getting harder to find, they are still
popular for heavy trailers. I'm not sure why, but they are a true truck
tire and the ones I bought from Gateway are heavily constructed, much
heavier than a typical 16" truck tire. I have no idea why since the
load ratings are not any higher than a typical 16" truck tire.

Good Luck,

Dave