Of Re-enactors's & MV's.......

From: Stephen L Dussetschleger (dussetschleger@juno.com)
Date: Mon May 23 2005 - 17:20:59 PDT

  Been into MV's ( owning now, everything before, jsut dreaming) now for
about 10 years. Been into the "modern" Re-enacting scene herw in the
central USA now for about 8 years. ACtually got into Re-enacting after
meeting a guy @ a militaria show while searching for "stuff" to put into
my M38A1 to make it look "lived in".
  Got the re-enacting bug, but after seeing so few MV's in the field
decided to pursue that aspect. Still doing the local MV club thing
alongside it, but getting more & more re-enacting related vehicles to use
in that field. Now almost exclusively I have correct "impressons" for
all my vehicles so I dress the part as close as possible to fit the era
of the MV. This ranges form WWI through WWII, Korea & Vietnam ( Wearing
my Dads gear of both) into the Desert Storm Wars ( one of my younger
brothers who was there for both, from BEFORE the beginnings, right on
through them) gear.
  MV's & re-enactors can mutually benefit each other at many events. For
years around here ( KC MO, USA) I have worked at many levels at many
events and have tried hard to establish a good rapport with both side.
At some "Public Battles" I have had local MV club guys drive their
mil-veh's in the scenacrios' alongside or loaded WITH Re-enactors right
into the fray. MV's add another dimesnion to the battle and without a
doubt the owners love to participate. Like mr sherrer I DO have to
insist they dress as close to ( & only the appropriate era vehicle is
allowed) the scenario being portrayed. They don't have a problem ( the
ones interested in doing this. Others like to sit & watch, thats OK)
doing this & I even instruct the in a bit of a safety talk & after
instruction in the scenario, give them a few blanks for their correct
weapoin so the can join in the shooting. They love it. In return they
use their vehicles in the "action".
  Come parade time they are MORE than willing to have a few of these same
re-enactors ride in their vehicle to "flesh it out".
 Mutual benfit Everybody wins.
  One thing I have to wonder about is IF an event is somehow "sanctioned,
sponsored, or any other action in a way related" to the offical MVPA, is
if I'm not mistaken, ( although I hear they are working to change it)
there is some "rule' or whatever about the displaying or usage ,etc.,
blah blah balh concerning weapons. YOU could be putting yourself into a
mess with them if you have re-enactors ( or YOURSELF ) at one of THEIR
events & they have LIVE fire or even worse SHOOTING weapons while they
are aboard you MV. Ooopsie !
  This is one of the items I was not really crazy about. Heck, the way I
see it , it was called the ARMED Forces becasue they carried ARMS or
gear / cargo pertaining to ARMS, or stuff to keep personell who were
ARMED goin. If its a weapons carrier, it oughta be carrying a weapon.
Maybe if your doing a stateside MV, who needs one then ?
  Anyways, sorry to take up bandwidth, hope this clears up any
misconceptions about Re-enacting vs MV ownership. It can work together,
BUT in my opinion they ARE different and SHOULD stay seperate
organization-wise. Let re-enactors run their show & MV people run
theirs. Putting on a mil-veh rally or get together is a lot different
than a re-enactor event.
Steve.