Re: [MV] Aervoe Paint

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Thu May 26 2005 - 19:14:18 PDT

>One more thing. If you are looking for a mil-spec alternative. Sherwin
>Williams can mix mil-spec paint at many of their commercial paint
>locations. It's not cheap, but repainting an entire vehicle due to
>faulty paint is a waste of time and money.

Well thank heavens for a breath of fresh air, all I hear is Gillespie v.s.
Aerovoe, Gillespie, Aervoe, Gillespie, Aervoe ad nausium.....

There is nothing magic about mil paint colors and neither of these
companies is doing anything that any industrial or automotove paint company
or dealer can't do, it's just that these two companies are MARKETING thier
product to this audience.

Regarding 24087, there is no such color, anymore that is, nobody can claim
to make "mil spec" 24087 becuase it is an obsolete color, it is not in the
current FED-STD-595 color book anymore. I personally use Dupont, I have a
local Dupont industrial paint dealer that I use for business things. They
can make any FED-STD-595 color from a formula, but they can't do 24087,
however thier "color lab" (as he called it) came back with a sub from the
current spec but it looked way to dark to me. But they can also mix any
shade and flatness that you want to a sample. Color speaking, I prefer the
Aervoe version of 24087, it matches what Sherwin-Williams sells as 24087 and
is noticably greener than the Gillespie 24087. I am working with my local
guy right now to mix some 24087 in Imron, cost from the industrial line is
about $80 a gallon (both parts), where as an auto paint dealer is something
like 3 times higher, but they also can mix the color in any of the other
cheaper lines/types of paint also. I am far from an expert about paint, I
just do what I do and this just my opnion, your mileage may vary.

later,

je