*** What the H is Idaho made of....***

From: Steve & Jeannie Keith (cckw@comcast.net)
Date: Mon May 30 2005 - 15:14:38 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: HOWARD E WRIGHT
To: Steve & Jeannie Keith
Sent: Saturday, May 28, 2005 5:59 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] ** What the H is Idaho made of...***

Hey Dr. Deuce, are you insulting our Dirt? LOL, because I've been there.
Depending were the K51 came from depends upon the composition of the dirt.
It sounds like you have a case of good old volcanic gumbo that has a lot of
plumice and bentenite in it that is some of the same stuff that is in
cement. This stuff is slick and slimy and sticks to everything when it is
wet and is best to clean it off before it dries. One good thing, stuff does
not rust much around here. What you are missing is getting stuck in the
stuff for the ultimate 4x4 experience as it is usually to the axles. They
mine bentenite for kitty litter and it is more or less decomposed limestone.
I read your post to a friend of mine who is an auto mechanic and it was a
big hit for him, and he got quite a kick out of it. He says you must have
must have an Owyhee County Rig as they fight with this all the time at his
shop. Luckily this goo isn't everyplace here and we try to stay out of it
when the weather is nasty. We've just learned to live with it as I was born
here over 50 years ago. About all you can do is do what you are doing.
Sometimes WD40 will break the crud down. BTW, I know where there is another
K51 parts rig in Northern NV, but it's in pretty sad shape. Take care,
Howard Wright PS, Arthur's list won't let me post, so you can forward to the
list if you wish.