RE: [MV] East Coast Summer event

From: Randall Scheffler (roughdoc@comcast.net)
Date: Thu Jun 02 2005 - 17:17:26 PDT

Hey, a bit of humor.

I would never suggest that this event will be the greatest thing since cold
beer, but the impact will be known across the Army.

Obviously Fort Gordon isn't doing this to be nice to MV types. Army Posts
host events throughout the year with two goals in mind. The first and often
most loudly stated is to bring wholesome entertainment to the troops. The
second and very valuable reason is to raise money for morale, welfare and
recreation activities (MWR.) This is how the craft shops, campgrounds, auto
shops, etc., get funded.

A couple of years back the command of the Garrisons of each post got
centralized under an agency called the Installation Management Agency, which
has four regions under it (soon to be two regions if the BRAC committee has
it's way).

Long story short, every installation is looking for ways to get their on
post events to be visited by the off post community. We've got around
14,000 soldiers here, but the Octoberfest will draw around 40,000
historically.

If this event here works well, the IMA folks will talk. It may help all of
us getting access to Army posts for shows, trail rides, etc.

Just a thought.