Re: [MV] My recent run in with the Commercial Vehicle Police - Indiana

From: grntrks@juno.com
Date: Sat Jun 04 2005 - 18:29:15 PDT

Several things were at work against me in this endeavor---

1. I should have gone for the INTERsate authority while I had the
funds to do i
2. Many times I had to turn down freight because I could not cross
state lines. I could have gotten the permit but my insurance
coverage was not up to FED requirements and what I had only covered
            instate operations. Cost dif. == $600.00 p/mo vs $900.00
p/mo.
3. This is MOST IMPORTANT ( LTL [less than truck load] or
hot-shot freight) does not usually get paid a fuel surcharge.
The surcharge is based on a benchmark price of $1.15 per gal and
calculated on the price above that.

You can read about trucking issues at this website www.ooida.com I am
a member of Owner Operator Independant Driver Association. There is good
info available to anyone who drives a larger truck, i.e., 2 1/2 and five
ton etc.

4. If you get stopped BE COURTEIOUS TO and COOPERATE WITH THE
OFFICER. He has a tough job and faces idiots who try to skirt the law
all-day. Polite respect goes a long way toward how he is going to respond
to you.

Frank Cox - 'Nam 1966
MVPA 14530
'45 GMC 353 DUKW