Vehicle markings

From: Jim Stead (gadget@easypath.com)
Date: Thu Jun 09 2005 - 12:46:44 PDT

    In sanding through the paint layers, the previous owner of my weasel
found a triangle followed by the number 45-S1. This was found on the upper
left side of the front. The bottom of the triangle stencil was solid, but
the sides each had a break in them.
    On the next layer of paint, the same marking is repeated in the same
location. On both of those paint layers the back says USA along with the
serial number.
    Could anyone venture a guess on this marking? I was thinking it might
mean 3rd AD, 45th Medical but I don't know why the 3 would be missing before
the triangle, nor do I know what the S1 would designate.

Any info is greatly appreciated...

Jim