Re: [MV] Civilian Vehicle Military Markings

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Sat Jun 11 2005 - 10:27:53 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "roger" <rfrancis@cfl.rr.com>
Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2005 7:41 AM
Subject: [MV] Civilian Vehicle Military Markings

> I have an X-army 1956 Chevrolet Suburban. It is all original including the
> data plate on the dash. It was at Fort Riley Kansas from 1956-1972. While
> restoring it, I found some numbers on the doors and rear that I did not
know
> what they meant. It was painted under the US Army, Official Use Only it
had
> IC 2214. Since then I have seen other civilian vehicles that had IE xxxx,
ID
> XXXX etc. Anyone know what the letters and numbers mean? thanks

It's that era's marking system. Staff cars and things had 1C 3276; jeeps
would have something like 2D 1753 - and on up into the larger vehicles with
3F 1329 and 4E 0236 for M715-type vehicles and M35 deuces respectively.
The initial number was dictated by the size/class of vehicle, where the rest
would just be the next number in the sequence (i.e.,hypothetically, 2D 0001
would follow 2C 9999.) I have it all at work, but I think that system
changed sometime in the 1970's to a system featuring prefixes like NB and NF
and NG instead of the 1C, 2D, 3C variety. (For example, my old M886 Amb was
NGO8G8; my current Blazer is NFODRS, and there are a number of Deuces and
151s at work with similar...one I think is NB004U.)

There was a really good "Army Motors" article on that Reg. No. system
way-back-when, and I think I've seen it spelled out on some website fairly
recently too. Perhaps linked to olive-drab.com? Can't recall.